Tuesday, 1 January 2013

A Happy New Year!

As a new year begins, I would like to wish every reader all true happiness, which is the same thing as true blessedness from God. I am very grateful to every reader and every commenter during 2012, a year I did not expect to see. The Lord bless you all.

I do not usually say very much about my health in these posts, but I feel this would be an appropriate point to do so. I am experiencing fluid retention in my abdominal cavity, or ascites, which is a sure sign that my liver is in trouble. In fact, this is a sign that my liver cancer is reaching its final stage, though how long this stage will be, only the Lord knows. This condition is one form of what used to be called dropsy. The man 'with the dropsy' (hydropikos) in Luke 14:1-6 had some form of fluid retention. But the Lord healed him.

You might find this hard to believe, but I felt quite excited to be brought so close to a real biblical situation. To have a true, old-fashioned biblical ailment seemed to bring me nearer to the Lord, who knows all about healing the dropsy, and every other condition. However, I do not believe he intends to heal me, but is rather saying to me, in effect, 'Bear it a little longer. Then I will take you home.'

I also noticed that the Lord unflatteringly compares the man with the dropsy to the ass or ox which even the lawyers and Pharisees would have pulled out of a pit on the sabbath day. This, too, is appropriate. I feel that I am like a stubborn ox or ass whom the Lord has had to pull so often out of a pit, or pitfall, that I should have been aware of. How amazingly patient he is! How stupidly sinful I am!

Another point I wanted to mention is that I have been aiming at completing 500 blog posts, before laying down my pen. I am quite close to reaching this total. In fact, if spared and able to write, I will reach it the week after next. However, I realize the Lord may have other plans, and I gladly bow to his will. The Lord knows what he will do, and I don't need to worry about it. 

The Lord give all readers a most blessed New Year!
  

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Douglas for your wonderful blog. It has taught and encouraged me so much. A happy New Year to you sir. You are a blessing to many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Janet, I am very grateful for what you say. May the Lord bless you and yours abundantly!
      Douglas

      Delete
  2. From Louisville, KY I pray first that the Lord heals you, because I just found your blog and it brought tremendous encouragement to me to see your unwavering faith in the goodness of our God. In that God is glorified and I am sure brings you joy. I was preparing a sermon on Philippians 1:12-26 last evening and this morning, and I must say you are a shining example to me of a brother in Christ whose predicament is similar to Paul's. To Live is Christ, but to Die is Gain. I will certainly lift you up in my prayer to our Heavenly Father.

    In Christ-Marc Mullins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Douglas, I am so happy to have found your blog! I have a friend who is on her own journey with cancer. My mom and grandmother both died of cancer at the age of 65...I am only a few years away from that.

    Nearly 6 years ago, I was involved in a car crash that has left me with chronic pain. The Lord has taught me much through this daily struggle. Joy is found in Him alone!

    I sent the link to your blog to my friend.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you both for your very gracious comments. I am so grateful to be linked to you in this way There truly is one family of faith.
      The Lord bless you all in his sweet and gracious love.
      Douglas

      Delete